After 2 years of work, volunteering, training, saving, and wishing, my dream finally came true. Welcome home Mickey!
Mickey is a 28-year old scarlet macaw, adopted from a parrot rescue.
if you are considering sharing the rest of your life with a feathered companion, don’t shop, adopt. Hundreds of thousands of unwanted parrots need homes desperately. Almost all rescues are closed due to overcrowding and are unable to take in more birds. In desperation, people euthanize or worse, throw it outside to die or if it survives, disrupt the natural environment. Parrots DO NOT make good pets for most people — in fact they make poor pets in general. If you have the time, money, and skills, you may share a relationship with an intelligent wild animal like a parrot for many years to come, but these are not domesticated, they are not “pets” so much as animal dependents.
Even the smallest parrots can live easily 20-30 years (that includes parakeets and cockatiels). Small-medium parrots live 30-50, and anything on the larger end is 50+, macaws often reaching 80-100 years old. Yes, Mickey is almost 30, but if he lives a full lifespan, I will be past retirement age when he dies (and I am in college right now).
Small parakeets are relatively inexpensive to maintain, unlike medium-large parrots which can cost in excess of $500 a month — after 10 years, a pet bird could rack up over $60,000 of care, but remember this bird could live 50-80 years. That’s over $300,000. Yes, there are ways to keep costs down, but you should be prepared for the worst when considering such an addition to your life. Also, bear in mind that vet fees for a parakeet cost the same as vet fees for a macaw — one $15 bird costs hundreds at an avian vet — no you can’t take them to a regular vet.
Knowing just this much, you can see why parrots do not often keep a home for long.
Please do not support breeding. Visit a local bird rescue and get to know some of the amazing feathered kids who need someone to love them. There is no such thing as damaged goods when it comes to rescue birds.
And now, bruises, bites and all, I look forward to spending the next 20-50 years with Mickey.
- cheap-lipgloss likes this
- moosetank likes this
- doctordeer reblogged this from superziggy
- doctordeer likes this
- rosebai21 reblogged this from wyrtwita
- findingmyniche reblogged this from wyrtwita
- rickrollinq reblogged this from kitofthesnow
- fightslikeagirl reblogged this from superziggy and added:
- kai-mango7 likes this
- driandi likes this
- snowflakesexbang reblogged this from juyoukiss
- juyoukiss reblogged this from techta and added:
- juyoukiss likes this
- explodingbomb likes this
- stlop likes this
- sluiceway reblogged this from princeowl
- askmissbernadette likes this
- polarbearblood reblogged this from princeowl
- polarbearblood likes this
- undeadlyme likes this
- livilin likes this
- bridgetellen2 likes this
- alienoralieout reblogged this from princeowl
- phoolcat likes this
- sirjonathancord reblogged this from canadianfairy
- klawla reblogged this from ollivander
- breelee91 reblogged this from ollivander
- breelee91 likes this
- mockingbirdtales reblogged this from theoncomingmildweather
- dashison reblogged this from ollivander
- normieky reblogged this from ollivander
- butamistillfabulous reblogged this from ollivander
- butamistillfabulous likes this
- tropicaljohn reblogged this from fyeahpsittacines
- evenifitriedagain reblogged this from ollivander
- rickrollinq likes this
- kitofthesnow reblogged this from ollivander
- theoncomingmildweather reblogged this from ollivander
- yakofalltrades reblogged this from ollivander
- eiensa reblogged this from ollivander
- affini-tea reblogged this from ollivander
- dramaticmarill likes this
- queenofthebisexuals likes this
- shindiggory reblogged this from ollivander
- shindiggory likes this
- mariaheartss likes this
- trueneutralranger reblogged this from ollivander
- ollivander reblogged this from princeowl
- p4r4d0x1c4l-l3m0n likes this
- christianrabbi reblogged this from humanitys-finest-booty